Watch Us Grow
2014 Local Food Accomplishments
by Emily Portman
Island Grown Schools
- Worked in all seven public schools and seven preschools on the Island.
- Facilitated 1,188 lessons in healthy eating, gardening or farm field trips for the 1,612 Island students.
- Maintained 14 school gardens at their 14 partner schools and held 62 after-school garden club sessions at two schools.
- Offered a monthly local food taste test to 2,400 Island students.
- Gleaned 6,700 pounds of fresh produce from local farms to donate to the cafeterias at all seven of the Island’s public schools.
Slow Food MV: The Year of Grain
- Discussed with Neil Atkins of OffShore Ale Co. about brewing beer and the grain involved.
- Dialogued with filmmaker JD McLelland about his film on the grain industry, The Grain Divide.
- Explored grain types, tastes, and history with Glenn Roberts of Anson Mills at Water Street, Harbor View Hotel.