Wild Rice Salad with Hazelnuts
by Molly Shuster
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice such as basmati
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 2 cups sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- handful parsley, chopped
- handful chives, chopped
- 3 springs tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 crumbled creamy feta cheese (optional)
- salt and freshly cracked pepper
Bring 1 3/4 cups water to boil along with the salt. Add the brown rice, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook until tender and fluffed, about 25 minutes. If there is excess water, drain. Let stand 10 minutes.
Bring another medium saucepan of salted water to boil (about 4 cups water). Add the wild rice and simmer, uncovered, until the rice is tender but chewy, about 30 minutes. Drain.
Place the cooked rice in a large mixing bowl. Add the cherries, hazelnuts, herbs, lemon juice, and olive oil. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Scatter with feta cheese.
Yield: 4-6 servings