Tomato & Almond
by Molly Shuster
- 1 1/2 pounds vine tomatoes, halved crosswise
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, toasted
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup lightly packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place the tomatoes cut-side up on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 1 hour. Let cool to room temperature.
Place the almonds and garlic in a food processor. Pulse 3-4 times to roughly chop. Add the basil and pulse another 3-4 times. Add the tomatoes and remaining cup olive oil and pulse until the tomatoes have broken down but some small chunks remain. The pesto should retain a bit of texture. Stir in the Parmesan and salt to taste.
Yield: 3 cups