Three-Layer Chocolate Birthday Cake
by Laura Silber
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk or hemp milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup olive oil or grape seed oil, plus a bit extra for oiling pans
- 1 1/3 cups sorghum flour or brown rice flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 350°. Oil three 9-inch springform or round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper. Combine eggs with sugar and beat very well. Add milk, vanilla and 1 cup of oil, and beat until blended.
In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients together to combine. Add dry mix to wet mix and blend until batter is smooth. Pour into prepared pans. Bake until tester comes out clean, approximately 25 minutes.
Cool completely on wire racks, and unmold cakes from pans. Peel off parchment paper and discard. Using a very sharp knife, slice the rounded tops off the cakes to make layers completely flat. Frost as desired.
Yield: 1 cake, 12-14 servings