Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
by Molly Shuster
- 2 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (for filling)
- 1 pound strawberries, trimmed and halved, quartered if large (for filling)
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger (for filling)
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped (for filling)
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced (for filling)
- 1/2 cup sugar (for filling)
- 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour (for filling)
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, room temperature
Heat the oven to 350F.
In a 9x13-inch baking dish, toss together all filling ingredients until well combined.
In a bowl, stir together the oats, sugars, and salt. Add the butter and using your fingers, mix until crumbly. Spread over the fruit.
Bake until the crisp is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling, about 45 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6-8 servings