Spring Black Rice Salad with Lime Honey Vinaigrette
by Catherine Walthers
- 1/2 cup uncooked Forbidden black rice (or about 2 cups cooked)
- 1 cup frozen, shelled edamame beans
- 1-1/2 cups snow or snap peas, strings removed
- 4 cups pea shoots, rinsed and spun dry in a salad spinner
- 4 or 5 radishes, cut into thin, half-rounds
- 2 oranges, sliced into wheels or segmented
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar (for vinaigrette)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon or lime juice (for vinaigrette)
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, finely minced (for vinaigrette)
- 1 tbsp. honey (for vinaigrette)
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce (for vinaigrette)
- 3 Tbsp. canola or other plain-tasting oil (for vinaigrette)
Cook the black rice according to the package directions. Let cool.
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil and add the edamame beans and snap or snow peas. Boil for 1 minute or less until peas are bright green, then drain into a strainer and run them under cold water to stop the cooking. Pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large serving bowl, combine the cooled rice with the edamame, snow or snap peas, pea shoots, and radishes.
To make the dressing, whisk together ingredients. Immediately before serving, dress the salad and toss to combine. Or pass the dressing on the side. Garnish with the orange segments.
Yield: 6 servings