Cod or Scallop Stew with Kale and Tomatoes
by Hara Dretaki
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups kale, de-stemmed and torn into small pieces
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cod fillets, about 4-ounces each OR ½ lb. bay scallops
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook until they soften, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 5 more minutes. Stir in the kale, potatoes, tomatoes, and all but 1/2 cup of the water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the last half cup of water if necessary. Add the salt and pepper.
Place the cod over the stew, cover and steam until just cooked through, about 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. If using scallops, cook for 5 minutes. Using a wide spatula, transfer the seafood to shallow soup bowls. Spoon the stew over and serve immediately.
Recipe yields 4 servings.