Rombi with Pumpkin and Pecorino
by Robert Booz
- FOR THE SAUCE
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 lb of hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 5 cups pumpkin, skinned, gutted, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chicken or pork stock
- Salt, to taste
- FOR THE PASTA
- 1 lb. of rombi pasta
- TO FINISH
- 1/2 cup of grated Pecorino cheese plus more to suit
- 4 Tbsp. of chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more to garnish
- 1 Tbsp. of butter, at room temperature
- Salt and crushed red pepper, to taste
Coat the bottom of a large sauté pan with olive oil and place over medium high heat. Brown the sausage well, using a wooden spoon to make sure it breaks into small bits. Add the onion, sage, pumpkin, and some salt, and cook, stirring for an additional 5 to 7 minutes. Add the stock and scrape any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover, letting the mixture cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender.
Meanwhile, cook your pasta in well-salted water, until just before al dente; reserve some of the pasta cooking water. Transfer the pasta to the pumpkin sauce and place on medium-high heat. Finish cooking the pasta in the pumpkin sauce to your desired doneness. If you need to loosen it up so it doesn’t burn or stick to the bottom, add a little of the reserved pasta water. When the pasta is done, stir in the cheese, parsley, and butter. Taste and add salt and crushed red pepper to suit. Serve garnished with a bit more cheese and parsley.
Recipe serves 4 to 6.