by Molly Shuster
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (for crumble)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (for crumble)
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, room temperature (for crumble)
- pinch salt (for crumble)
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperrature
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk, room temperature
- 10 oz. raspberries
Heat the oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
Make the crumble. Mix together the flour and sugar. Add the butter and using your fingers, mix until crumbly.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
In a larger bowl, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Zest the orange and lemon over the bowl. Cut the lemon in half and add the juice from one half. Add the vanilla extract and stir to combine. Alternating with the buttermilk, add the flour mixture in two batches, starting and ending with the flour. Stir just until combined. Gently fold in the raspberries. Transfer to the prepared pan. Top with the crumble mixture.
Bake until deep golden, about 50-55 minutes. Cool for 5-10 minutes, then release from pan and cool on a cooling wrack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: one 9-inch cake