by Hara Dretaki
- 1⁄2 cup raw sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup quinoa
- 11⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 ears corn, kernels stripped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch radishes, cut into match- sticks
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1⁄4 cup hijiki, soaked in 11⁄2 cups water for half an hour and drained (optional)
- Lime vinaigrette
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice (fresh squeezed is best)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 clove of fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375°. Spread the sesame and sunflower seeds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10–12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Cook the quinoa. After simmering, spread on a baking sheet to cool.
Husk the corn and scrape off the kernels. Place them in a steamer and steam with the diced red onion until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Drain thoroughly in a sieve and chill under running water.
Make the lime vinaigrette:
In a large mixing bowl, combine all the vinaigrette ingredients and whisk well. Add the toasted seeds, quinoa, steamed vegetables, red pepper, radish, carrot, and hijiki to the marinade. Mix well and refrigerate for 20 minutes to let the flavors mix. taste for seasoning.
Makes 6 servings