by Gina Solon
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 3 oz. goat cheese, lightly crumbled
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 10 oz. both porcini and crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- dried beans (for pie weights) or commercial pie weights
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400°.
Roll out pastry dough on a lightly floured surface, enough so that it will fit in a 10-inch removable bottom tart pan. With a sharp knife trim the dough from the edges. Line the bottom with parchment paper and fill with dried beans. Place the tart pan on a cookie sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool then remove beans and parchment. Heat a large skillet on medium high heat, then melt the butter. Add the mushrooms and sauté until very golden, add shallot and cook until soft. Add the thyme and cook for another minute, then take off the heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cool. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, then mix in the cream and the lemon and nutmeg. Spread the mushrooms and shallot mixture on the bottom of the tart shell, then pour over cream mixture. Top with the crumbled goat cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is just golden brown and bubbly.
Yield: 1 delicious tart