Lobster and Pea Shoot Spring Rolls
by Catherine Walthers
- fresh pea shoots (about 3 cups)
- cooked lobster meat, diced (about 2 cups or meat from 2 lobsters)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 just-ripe avocado, diced (optional)
- 1/3 cup slivered fresh mint leaves, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, to taste
- round spring roll rice paper skins
- dipping sauce choices: sweet chili sauce (such as Maesri or May Ploy brands) or peanut sauce
Have all ingredients prepped and cut ahead of time. In a large bowl, gently mix the pea shoots, lobster, cucumber, carrots, avocado, mint, and cilantro.
Fill a skillet with water and bring to a boil. Once it boils, turn heat off and then reheat as needed. Quickly dip 1 rice paper wrapper in hot water, mak- ing sure it’s submerged. When flimsy, in a few seconds, transfer wrapper to a clean, dampened dish towel. Spread pea shoots and fillings on bottom third of wrapper. Starting with end closest to you, roll the wrapper tightly around the filling. When it’s rolled halfway up, fold the sides of the wrapper toward the center and continue rolling to the end of the wrapper. Rolls can be placed on a cookie sheet with parchment paper, covered tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerated for up to 3 hours before serving. (Cover the rolls as you are making them to keep them soft and pliable.)
Place the rolls on a platter with a bowl of dipping sauce. Or serve each person their own mini dipping bowl with their rolls so they can dip as much as they’d like.
Yield: 12 rolls
*To cook the lobsters: Bring 2 to 3 inches of water to boil in a large pot. Add the lobster, and boil, partially covered, for 7 to 8 minutes. Remove and let cool on the counter. Crack the claws and remove meat. Dice and refrigerate, ready for use. This can be done the day before.