Herb & Lemon Marinated Goat Cheese Appetizer
by Susie Middleton
- 1 4-oz log fresh goat cheese, sliced into 6 pieces
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs (3 to 4 inches long)
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- 2 tsp. chopped pitted Kalamata olives or sundried tomatoes
- sea salt or kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, more if necessary
- toasted crostini, baguette slices, or crackers for serving
Arrange the slices of goat cheese and the herb sprigs snugly in one layer in a small shallow dish. Sprinkle the lemon zest and the olives or sundried tomatoes over and around the cheese, and sprinkle the cheese with a little sea salt. Pour over the olive oil. Let the cheese marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours, and bring it to room temperature about 45 minutes before serving. Put the dish of cheese, the baguette slices, and a couple of small knives out for serving.
A version of this recipe originally appeared in Fine Cooking magazine.