Everybody’s Favorite Blueberry Crisp
by the Editors
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace or nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (brown sugar may be substituted)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup nut meats, chopped (optional
- Sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Remove stems and leaves, if any, from blueberries. wash and drain the berries and place in a mixing bowl. Add sugar, spices, lemon juice, and zest; mix lightly. Place the mixture in a shallow 1- to 2-quart casserole or baking dish.
Prepare the crumb topping as follows: combine in a mixing bowl the flour, sugar, butter, and salt. with the fingers or a pastry blender, work these ingredients to a crumbly consistency. Sprinkle over the berry mixture, adding the nut meats, if they are used.
Bake 30 minutes, or until the top- ping is nicely browned and the fruit is tender.
Serve with sweetened whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if you wish.
Makes about 6 portions.