Cold Pea Bisque
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 4-5 cups chicken broth
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1⁄2 pound sugar snap peas, stems removed
- 1 1⁄2 pounds fresh baby peas, or two boxes frozen
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
Meanwhile, in a medium soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and leek and cook over moderate heat until soft and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rosemary and sauté for 2 more minutes. Pour in the chicken stock and simmer mixture for about 5 minutes. Remove rosemary and let mixture cool.
Add sugar snaps to salted boiling water and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the baby peas and parsley and cook until just heated through. Drain and cool.
Working in batches, add peas and stock mixture to blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl or pot. Add cream and season with salt and white pepper. Stir mixture thoroughly. Chill before serving.
Yield: 4-6 servings