Caterer’s Quantity Marinara Sauce
by Dee Smith, Tea Lane Caterers
- 20 lbs. of ripe tomatoes (they don't have to be perfect) or 4 #10 cans of whole tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 pound of peeled and minced garlic
- 2 cups of olive oil
- 1/3 cup of Italian seasoning
- 1 big pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/8 cup of ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup of dried parsley flakes
- 4 cups of red wine
- cup of salt
Puree the whole tomatoes in a food processor and set aside. Saute the garlic in olive oil until tender. Add the red pepper flakes and sauté until you can smell the spice. Add all the tomatoes, the seasonings and the wine. Bring to a simmer for 1 hour. Cool in ice bath. Put in freezer in quart containers, date and rotate all.
Yields 2.5 gallons of sauce.